Previous Blogs may be found by clicking here.
Wheelchair Ride and my healed broken leg
We made it through bullets and cannon dangers in Kinshasa as we had 2 days wait for our Brovo Airline flight to the jungle in the heart of DRC. Starvation left me going in and out of consciousness as we were dangerously low on funds. Visa debit usually our method of acquiring funds was not possible in DRC. Email took my last 5 dollars and my husband was finally able to send my daughter and I funds for food via Western Union. We used it all for flight into the jungle. On Thanksgiving we were grateful for our one bowl of rice to sustain our lives after 30 hours of hunger and several days of minimal food. We knew that God was preserving our lives and urging us on. Flight manager Jean Pierre in booking office of Bravo Airlines held the plane 2 hours for us and by cell phone frequent calls followed our struggles out of the heart of Kinshasa to the airport. The tire blew and the taxi driver was extremely motivated to get us to the plane being delayed for us. He kept driving till there was nothing left but the rim. When we could see the airport at a great distance he stopped, opened his trunk and we were left with the transport mode God gave us-our legs. We ran the rest of the way. Now you have to realize that too is a miracle. Just 2 weeks before, my left leg slipped into a hole while I was hurrying across a street at the Nairobi Airport in the dark in the rain. The rest of me kept going and sprawled on the street before oncoming cars. My glasses went flying. Jenny picked them up and a young man Elisha carried me back to the car. In agony, I was shocky and figured I had broken the leg.
Jenny put her hand on my leg as fast as she could reach me. She said, "God, you cannot let this be. You need to do something quick. Mama has to run in airports and treat the sick in clinics and preach for you. You've got to do something now." Her urgent plea was instantly answered and the pain left. I began thanking God while she was still praying. I told Him I felt so much better. As soon as she said, "AMEN", I was on my feet and running back to the ticketing office to get my translators airline ticket. Those who helped me were open mouthed and eyes popping out and crying for joy at the mighty power of God.
I washed the sewer off my leg as we rested where we lodged for the night and put charcoal on the large area missing skin. At the airport by 3AM the next morning, I asked for a nurse to give me an ace bandage. She was horrified at the sight of my let and demanded a wheelchair. Our status as "on standby #29" was changed to boarding privileges on a fully booked flight. I did not know that also in the next country there was a message placed on computer from the manager in Lubumbashi that we had to be on the next flight. I am not sure at what hour this was placed on computer. I think it was after we received clearance to board.
The man assisting me up the stairs into the plane begged me to walk on my own. I was pulling myself dragging all the weight up that ladder I could. The pain had increased and my knee was unstable. It moved forward on my leg. I knew the anterior cruciate ligament was destroyed and perhaps more. I was puzzling why God only took the pain away the night before. The broken bone was mended. Why only a partial healing? It seemed He had healed a broken leg but not the ligaments. It became obvious He used this to get us onto that full plane. The next flight was in 7 more days. That would have put us past our allotted service time to Lubumbashi.
A wheelchair was not available in DRC upon arrival in that country so a van picked me up at the plane and delivered me to the VIP lounge while someone from the DIVISION scurried about with passport documents. While sitting there, I asked the LORD to finish the miracle with my leg. It would not be good to be carried to the crowd of perhaps a 100 waiting to sing and greet me from the church headquarters all waiting at the airport for me. I needed skin on and the ligaments intact. I felt tingling and when I stood and tried to walk in faith, it was stronger with each step. By the time I reached the crowds of Adventists there to welcome us, not one even knew what I had just been through. 3 days later God put all new skin on. I took pictures of this amazing miracle. I have doctored many injuries and this was definitely a miracle. I was walking daily for exercise by 2nd day post injury. There was tenderness and some bruising still visible.
2 WEEKS LATER IN KINSHASA I had to run with luggage
SO 2 weeks later I was enabled to make the airport dash of about a 3/4 mile with equipment bags in Kinshasa. When we were finally on that plane into the jungle, we were exhausted. Suddenly there was a fee again for the luggage to go. I convinced them to move it on anyway and prayed all the way there that God would pay for it. ($600.) It was Thanksgiving morning when we tried the next day to get the Luggage out of hawk at the tiny jungle Bravo airline office and onto the dug out canoe. After 5 hours of struggle, they finally let us go with it crossing the river and going 5 hours by ADRA land rover through mud holes and rivers the 50 miles to Kalima. Coming out that same road this land rover turned onto its side. It was a struggle climbing up the seat and out the open door and jumping to the ground. No one that is crippled with healing broken bones and ligaments can even accomplish such a task. It was very difficult to get out of the vehicle and wait till it was right side up.
Some valiant strong natives were roused from their cots in their huts to set it back on its wheels. There are no gas stations, no tow trucks, no paved roads but the people are resourceful and by their own strength they accomplish amazing tasks. These are a very strong intelligent people. They were so kind to help us. They are used to getting food from that ADRA land rover and as it passes they cheer and wave. ADRA=Adventist Disaster Relief Agency
The Bible hunger was so thrilling. We were the first white missionaries of our SDA church in there. A small group of Adventists that had no converts for many years helped us settle in. When we stopped preaching after an hour that first day, someone said, "Why did you stop?" We spoke another hour and again they said they had to hear more. On Sabbath they kept asking like that, not even going home to eat. They got a total of 10 hours of Bible messages. My daughter and I took turns preaching. Our translator Anne had to keep speaking the whole time. Miraculously God gave her that ability. Even when she was sick and weak, God gave her strength. We also had someone read from their Swahili Bible while they watched the Mathew DVD. They did not have anything to eat. They eat small amounts only once a day.
THE FINAL EVENTS DVD was shown about the 3rd night. There was clapping and vocal sounds of rejoicing and whistling when they watched the resurrection. There was another outburst when the second coming was seen. Such hope came to them as they learned of this promise. We had 1,500-2000 all packed in standing through this Final Events DVD. There were 94 baptisms that first Sabbath and another Sabbath 87. There are 200 more that pledged their lives for baptism and about 800 children beyond that.
After we finished the long 4 hours of evening program we went to the gate to shake their hands and they filed out then came back in and sat down wanting to hear more. They are tired of the wars that have devastated their economy and killed their family members. They have lost so much. They have hid in the jungle and people took over their homes. They have NO BIBLES. WE HAVE PRAYED and tried to get some in there. We took in 67 from Kenya but the Swahili is not understood. Their Swahili is different. They mix in their local words and their Swahili Bibles are being printed in Kenya but cost 11 dollars each and they cannot keep up with the demands. There was no possible source for purchase while we were there. We feel driven to return to these people and do another program in nearby areas. WE SEEK THE WILL OF JESUS ON THIS. WE only go where He asks us to go.
The Lord has stopped their wars for the gospel to get in there. But it was the most difficult to travel in there. Every airport treated us as though we had entered a new country. Each filled in forms looking at our passports stamped with visa and charged us. The porters were slapping and kicking our bags. Then there was shooting and danger in Kinshasa. Satan did everything he could to prevent our obedience to God's command to enter this unreached area. God has won the battle and now there are many Final Events DVDs in the hands of government workers who do have players and electricity. Most of the village people do not even have a permanent home. We also did medical clinics out of the back rooms of the building seeing over a thousand desperately sick people. I pulled teeth and did general practice medicine with a translator from Kenya, my daughter, and Dr. Matenda originally from that village and trained in Africa assisting.
The Kalima jungle school of 400 students has broken brick siding and a thatch roof with giant holes allowing rainforest buckets of water to enter onto the students trying to write. I could not hold back the tears. I have never seen such desperate conditions anywhere else in the world. I have seen India struggles and many little jungle villages but none like this. I am praying for 3 simple little churches and little schools in the different regions that these people walked from to get to meeting.

I was amazed how when the clouds poured out rain, the outdoor meeting did not end. The people stood in the rain wanting to hear it all and urging us not to stop. WHAT HUNGER for BIBLE TRUTH! Only the heart of one who has experienced terrors of genocide can appreciate this hope that the gospel has. Many orphans and widows attended and thrilled at the news of the resurrection and the second coming.
I had the sanctuary curtains and furniture set up under the eves of the building we were staying in. The value of the material is over 1,500. God protected it. The porch was about 5 feet deep and 10-12 feet long. I had gold satin walls and flooring. The ceiling was red, blue, purple curtains with angels on them. Room divider curtains marked the holy and Most Holy room. When it rained we pulled the curtains up to avoid splatters.
When I threw down the censer in the sanctuary as I left the Most Holy Room in priest robes, I told them His work was almost done and He would close the door of mercy and with the throwing of the censer, plagues would begin falling. A man shot out of his bamboo stick "chair" and ran for the front. He was one of the few sitting down for the meeting. He said he had to be saved before that door closed. Many more made their way to the front. I was just getting ready to pray and the pastor took the megaphone, understanding his people were moved by the Spirit. He urged more to the front. I had never had a church service go like that one. There were about 30-45 new ones each night who gave their hearts to Jesus and planned for baptism. I have never made commitment every night and every Sabbath church service any where else I have been.
YOU KNOW WHAT? I wonder if their time on this planet is limited. I think they wonder when war will again break out. I saw teenagers crowded around one little Swahili Bible from Kenya trying to read and drink the living WATER. Those baptized were promised Bibles and we ran out. We put marks on their hands with permanent markers and prayed every 10 minutes but no more Bibles could be obtained. I MUST SEND BACK TO THEM more Bibles. I know Dr. Matenda would help get them to his people. The only way in there is by plane. Cargo charges are from 1 dollar a kilo up to 3 dollars depending on airlines selected. There are just cargo planes that port things at a lower rate.
Well, thanks for your prayers.

Your fellow co-laborer in the Master's Vineyard
"Dr. Rose"

PS: Jenny has started a blog as well, you will want to take a look and book mark it here: Jenny's Bibles
08 Jan 2007 by Larose

<< Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 Next >>